It’s the most wonderful time of the year - no, not Christmas, not back-to-school, it’s…
I recently found myself stuck in one of Eastern Canada’s most beautiful cities for 2 extra days while riding out one of their worst winter storms of the season. While it may have been tempting to lament my extra-long stay and change in travel plans (and away from my home and busy family), it didn’t take me long to realize the incredible opportunity that I now had.
I had 2 extra days away from home (and my home office)! Away from responsibilities, away from time-sucking chores and carting kids around town for hours on end! I was not going to take this unexpected gift for granted!
#Eventprofs and #MeetingPartners, you’ve been there, perhaps more than once. It can suck if you let it suck, but it can also be a great blessing if you look for ways to make the most of it!
Here’s how to make the most out of life when your travel plans change.
- Rest – us #eventprofs are always on the go, and this may be the day you need to just….rest…. I found myself fighting a cold during this recent trip, so rather than “power through the entire day”, I took a nap and enjoyed the king-sized bed to myself :) A rare thing if I’m at home #HusbandSnores #DogIsABedHog
- Business Plan – you knew this was coming. As a business plan geek, this extra time is PERFECT for reviewing your weekly and quarterly plans! In fact, if your delay is over a day, turn it into a impromptu business plan retreat!
- Social media planning – social media posts always seem to take a backseat to our reactive work; some extra hours may be all you need to plan out a few weeks of social media. Use HootSuite to schedule your posts, its a lifesaver and a timesaver
- Read industry periodicals – you know all those meeting planning magazines that arrive at your office or home, and they end up in a pile? Pack a few of those on your next work trip. If you travel even once a month, you can catch up on all your titles while waiting for the seatbelt light to be turned off after you ascend!
- Create a value-add for your clients – depending on where you are stranded, is there a piece of content you can create for your clients and add to your value as their partner?
- Stuck in a city where your clients may host programs or offsites? Go check out the venues and let them know of ideas that are a good fit for their programs
- Just attended a conference? Any nuggets of wisdom that clients would enjoy hearing about?
- Hit your #bucketlist – are you an avid hiker? Hit up the local trails! Like museums? Your destination surely has a few of those! Are you a foodie? Hit up some of the destination’s best restaurants!
So the next time life throws you a snowstorm, make a snow angel and enjoy the unexpected blessing of an extra few days away from the home and office! Happy travels!